Monday, July 27, 2009

All kinds of bad

So let me explain. Before I even took these foster kittens on, I knew I'd be travelling a lot come the summer. Well, my first trip is in just over one and a half weeks' time and I only found out last week. Where does this leave the furry gremlins? Gosh, if only I knew. I let Toronto Cat Rescue know in case they need to find them all a new foster home by then. I say "in case", but that makes it misleadingly seem like there's a good chance they'll all be adopted. Well, Matt and I have been unleashing quite an extensive marketing campaign for the little blighters and whilst we've not even got it all out 100%, there's little chance someone will want to adopt a sick kitten.

You see, the latest debacle is ringworm. Suspected ringworm, at least. First Mini Cat and then the rest. Mini Cat isn't too bad now but the rest of them all have it. Except Oscar. But then Oscar still has an upper respiratory infection that hasn't even budged with another course of Zithromax. Typical. Poor cats. I was told by TCR to buy some ringworm cream for them from the drug mart, which I've done, but it's just impossible to apply it twice a day to every single tiny bump hidden beneath the kittens' fur, and getting them to let me cut their fur for easier access, as suggested, is about as easy as getting a disabled tortoise to jump through hoops.

I dropped by at my local vet today to display some posters and asked them about ringworm. They gave me the impression it would be difficult to cure ringworm for sure without getting the chemical wash from the vet ($62 per kitten for a consultation plus $100 minimum for the treatment itself). Well, that's out of the question, seeing as I hardly even have money to treat myself to the occasional piece of jewellery from H&M.

Worse still, we've got someone coming to see the kittens tomorrow and they look like balding geriatrics. I can't lie to them about it, but who will want a ringworm-infested cat? Annoyingly, the term "ringworm" sounds scarier than it is, so all people think of is that they can catch these awful skin-burrowing worms off of cats, when really it's a harmless and purely cosmetic skin fungus that's meant to pass after some time on its own anyway. So again, who will take these kittens before we have to give them when they've got ringworm (because you can sure bet it's not the kind of thing that goes away in one and a half weeks)?

To make things even worse (for me, at least), if it's possible, yesterday one of the kittens chewed through my laptop charger. I went to the Apple store and through some welcome serendipity somehow managed to blag a new one on the warranty, thank heavens. I took extra special care to keep the new one away from the kittens since then and it's been out of their reach all night. What I didn't notice, however, is that for the one hour that I had the charger in the same room as them tonight, a tiny bit was poking out where they could see it. Well, three months and never before a cable casualty until yesterday despite all cables being exposed for all that time, and now the same offending kitten chooses the one hour and the five inches of cable that is available to him to chew through it yet again.

To say I was distraught is an understatement. I sobbed for a full 20 minutes. There'll be no more blagging at the Apple store this time and where the $100+ will come from to pay for a new cable is anybody's guess. So at 56% battery charge and no promise of anything more any time soon, I'm signing off.

[half-heartedly] Oh, check out our blog page for promoting the kittens. *Sigh*

4 comments:

  1. Oh I can relate.
    My kittens chewed all the way through our modem wire and almost through the phone and other wires. Its VERY annoying.
    At least you have people coming to look at your kittens! In six weeks we have not had one shred of interest in any of ours. I thought they'd all be gone by now...we cannot have four full grown foster cats! I need to start my own advertising campaign too.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the woman didn't come back for Oscar???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. No, the lady didn't take Oscar *sigh*. We've had two people say they wanted to come see them and then totally not get back to us, another person who saw them but decided they don't want a cat (imagine how off-putting these lot must have been!) but someone is meant to be coming on Saturday. We're yet to see if the whole ringworm thing will put him off. Anyway, all this interest has been from our efforts, not from the TCR website (with the exception of the Oscar thing). The leaflets we made (see link above) have meant a whole load of people have gone to that blog page for more info on them (according to Google analytics) so that's good at least. There's no link to this blog though because it would be too much bad press! All in all, we're seriously trying our best but it's crazy to have 6 cats in my tiny apartment (and I mean tiny), even if I didn't have travel commitments. They keep reinfecting each other with illnesses, for a start. Let me know if you want any advice on advertising and good luck to you too. BTW, TCR said they never put a foster cat back in a shelter, which was at least a bit of peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try to email you through the group...

    ReplyDelete